Monday, March 7, 2011

Sow!!!!!

Last week during dinner, my husband and I were talking about our day and got onto the subject of my blog and it occurred to us both that I haven't posted anything about Sow!!!!

Well I must confess since falling pregnant with baby number 3, the poor old veggie patch has been neglected and become over grown. 


before it became overgrown

Back in September I did turn over the veggie beds and filled them with lots of compost and manure but that was it.  And after all the rain we have had over the last couple of months, well the weeds have taken over.

But there has been one plus to all this, some pumpkin seeds must have been thrown in with the compost and then put in the garden beds and with the rain we have managed to grow 8 beautiful pumpkins.

Here are the girls with the first couple we picked:


Of course the first thing that they wanted was pumpkin soup, which I love!!! Then we roasted some with a lovely roast pork dinner.  And last night well as this pumpkin was so lovely and sweet, well I just had to make sweet pumpkin pie.

I made this a couple of years ago for my mum as she lived in Canada for a few years as a kid and she often talked about pumpkin pie.

So I searched on the internet and found this recipe (sorry I don't know the name of the site I found it on):

Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar (I only added 1/4 as the pumpkin was lovely and sweet already)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 large eggs
  • 500 grams pumpkin (I roasted my pumpkin first but you can steam if you want too)
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 1 unbaked  deep dish pie shell ( I used frozen shortcrust pastry)
  • Whipped cream to serve
Directions:
  1. Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in a bowl.  Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mix, beat eggs and add to mix.  Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
  2. Pour into pie shell
  3. Bake in preheated 220 C oven for 15 mins, then reduce heat to 170C and bake for a further 40 mins.  If you use a shallow dish I recommend you only bake for 25 mins at 170C.
Now serve with whipped cream, or as I didn't have any cream we had vanilla ice cream with it. Yummy!!!!


What's your favorite pumpkin recipe?

Happy baking!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment