Thursday, May 2, 2013

Roast Pumpkin Soup

 

Butternut pumpkins were on special today at Woolworths for 98 cents each and with the weather getting cooler here I thought pumpkin soup for dinner with some crusty bread would be perfect. 

IMG_20130502_155321

Also helped that it rained here this afternoon so it is even cooler here this evening.  I also decided to roast the pumpkin first which is something I have never done before and have always wanted to try.

To do this I cut up the pumpkin into small wedges, covered them with a bit of olive oil and then placed them in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for about 30 to 40 mins (until soft). 

20130502_171203

You can peel the skin off before hand if you like especially if you are going to eat the soup straight away otherwise if you have time for the pumpkin to cool down the skin peels off very easily.

Sautee some onion and garlic in a large pot then add your pumpkin and enough chicken stock to cover it all.

I let it simmer for about 15 mins then I puree the soup with my hand blender.  If it is too thick just add a little bit more stock.

20130502_174101

Roasting the pumpkin first really does and just that little bit of extra yummy sweetness to the soup. 

20130502_175832

What is your favourite soup to make in the colder months?

Jennifer xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment