Monday, February 20, 2012

What’s on the menu

 

I was watching Australia’s My Kitchen Rules the other week and the Melbourne contestants managed to make a very bland Kofta. 

mkr3_ep006_lamb_kofte_17j3be2-17j3bfq

(photo from MKR website)

How is this possible, it’s not that hard to make and you only have to let them marinate for an hour or so, so that the herbs and spices blend in with the mince.

I try to let it sit in the fridge all day and then I cook it in the sauce for about an hour and a half on low. So yummy.

So after watching this episode I had to make it for myself in my tagine. Doesn’t it look yummy. I like to serve it with couscous so you can soak up all the yummy juices.

DSC07033

I use the ingredient's from one recipe for the Kofta and the sauce from another.  I like to roll the mince into large meatballs and then brown them in the base of the tagine.

DSC07025

Once I have done that I then remove the Kofta and add a little butter and throw in the onions. 

DSC07026

Now to add the spices and the tomato paste (tomato paste is not in the recipe but I like to add a tablespoon or 2).

DSC07027

Time to add the tin of dice tomatoes and let it simmer for about 10 mins.

DSC07028

Add the Kofta, pop on the lid and then let it simmer on low for around 1 hour or so.

DSC07029

DSC07030

 

Now just to serve with couscous and bon appetite!! I’m drooling just looking at the picture lol.  Wash down with a lovely red.  I like a good Merlot.

DSC07031

Here is the recipe:

Lamb Kofta

  • 1kg lamb mince
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
  • 2 tbsp chopped corinader
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika

And for the Sauce

  • 1 clove garlic finely chopped
  • 1 onion sliced
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
  • 1 tsp ground paprika
  • 1 tsp basil finely chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste

Enjoy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment