Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tutorial Wednesday

 

Terry Towelling Nappy Cover

I bought these cute little nappy covers for Ethan a couple of weeks ago from Kmart for $3 and he has been wearing just them, no t-shirt, over the passed 2 weeks due to the heat.

DSC06038

I actually got another pair with Mickey Mouse on the back of them with some other goodies from a family friend after he was born and thought to myself I can make them.  And So I did.

What I used:

  • Blue Terry Towelling
  • 3/4 inch elastic
  • Bias tape

First I took a template from the pants and cut out my two pieces.  The original pair are a size 00.  When I traced the outline for the front of the pants I made them just a little big wider to allow for the seam of the leg holes.

DSC06389

DSC06391

DSC06392

Now because I was trying to do this and deal with 3 very hot and cranky children, I didn’t realise I should have placed the leg holes a little bit more to the right as you can see from the picture above.  I will re do this before I put the link up for you to download the pattern.

I placed both paper patterns onto the fold of the towelling and cut them both out. The next step is to pin and sew your bias tape, as I have used, or you could use fold over elastic. My tape measured about 13 inches for each leg hole. It’s a lot easier to do it now then after you have sew the leg holes together. 

DSC06393

Pin and sew the leg holes together:

DSC06394

The next step is to pin right sides together and either sew or serge the two pieces together.

DSC06395

This is how they should look so far.  The next step is to attach the waistband.

DSC06396

The waistband on the bought pants is actually a fabric waistband with thick elastic threaded through.  I chose to just sew some 3/4 inch elastic I had. 

With right side facing out I placed the elastic to the edge of the waistband and sewed all the way around leaving a little at the beginning and end to over lap and together.

You can pin it on first but I found it easier to feed them through by hand as the towelling edge rolls up.

DSC06397

DSC06398

Then I turned the elastic up and top stitched all the way around.

DSC06401

And then your done.  And here is my little model.  They are a bit big but they will last him through summer. 

DSC06404

DSC06405

Love those chubby little legs. He was too busy wriggling around in this one:

DSC06411

Happy Sewing!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm forever looking at items of clothing and thinking.. "I could do that!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cool I'd love it if you would add this to my link party at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-i-wore-wednesdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! thanks for sharing. have a lovely weekend ^^)

    ReplyDelete