Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tutorial Wednesday–The Ponytail Hat

 

I bought Miss J a ponytail hat for her birthday but when it came to Miss G’s birthday I couldn’t find another one in another colour.

DSC05970

So I set myself the challenge to make my own.  And wasn’t it a challenge.  Not only had I not made a hat before I decide to make my first hat with a pattern I adjusted myself.

DSC05972

Although I am happy with the end result, I did make a few mistakes and did a bit of unpicking.

For the pattern I used a simplicity Bucket Hat pattern that I downloaded from somewhere ages ago so sorry can’t tell you where I got it, which I have rescanned and you can download from here.

Now I’m sorry it’s not the best and you will have to join the second and third pages together as it wouldn’t fit in the scanner.

So what do you need to make your own hat, you will need a top and underneath fabric.  Miss G wanted Hello Kitty fabric which was in my scraps and I was lucky to just have enough for the top.  I used white for underneath and some interfacing that was of a medium thickness.  Using fusible interfacing would be much easier but mine was too thick for this. Oh and some velcro about 2 inches long.

First I cut out all my pieces out:

 

DSC05950

 

Then, I sewed the brim of the hat first with the right sides facing each other, leaving a small section to turn the brim right way out and top stitched and attached the velcro.  Now I assumed that there was hem allowance already in the pattern:

DSC05951

DSC05952

DSC05953

Next I sewed each of the crown pieces at the centre back seam.  Then I sewed the top of the hat.  Sorry I hope I am making sense and you should be sewing the 2 fabrics separately:

DSC05955

I don’t know what I did wrong but when I was pinning the top of the hat on it was like it was too big so I pinned it on and then adjusted it till it did fit:

DSC05957

 

DSC05958

Now you should have 3 sections of the hat to sew together:

DSC05959

Now I sewed the 2 pieces together. First I placed right sides together and sewed the half circle where the ponytail will go thru:

DSC05960

Then I turned the fabric right sides out and top stitched:

DSC05961

For the bottom of the crown I actually overlocked the pieces together so that I could have a practice on my new babylock but if you don’t have an overlocker you could just use your zigzag stitch.  If you don’t have a zigzag stick sew it all together leaving a small hole so that you can turn it right side out and then iron it flat.

DSC05962

Now all you have to do is pin the brim of the hat to the top part, sew and then turn down (brim is pinned upside down on the outside of the hat with the under fabric facing you).  You can top stitch it again on the right side if you wish but I just ironed it down.  And here it is:

DSC05965

DSC05967

DSC05987

I don’t think it turned out too bad!

DSC05969

As long as Miss G is happy with it that is all that matters.

DSC05971

DSC05976

Love my cheeky monkey models

Now this is the first time I have adjusted a pattern so please be gentle and I would love to hear your feed back.  If you have any problems with downloading the pattern please also let me know as this is the first time I have used Scribed.

Good luck and Happy Sewing!!!!

9 comments:

  1. wow! that turned out really cute! found your link on the trendy treehouse! I'd love if you'd come check out my blog!

    Julianne

    www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - I have never seen one of these! Great tutorial, your newest follower, Karima
    www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice idea! Very creative. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!


    Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so sweet! Found you from a link at Cass Can Sew, I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your models are adorable and this project is genius! We are featuring it today on our blog, facebook and twitter page. ^^)

    have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute girls! Love the kitty hat..wanna make one for my niece too. But have to subscribe inorder to download :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Anonymous, sorry about that if you would like to email. me at eatcraftsow@gmail.com I will send the file to you, Cheers Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey will you please send me the pattern bescause I can not download the ponytail hat. Regards Diana

    email;www.mosterskuffert@hotmail.dk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem will do that now for you Diana

      Delete